Wednesday, October 01, 2014
[Opinion & Music] The Umbrella Revolution
1. I have been following the current political demonstration in Hong Kong with intense interests.
My sympathy is with the demonstrators for a free (and not pre-screened) election for the Chief Executive of Hong Kong in 2017.
Although I have no idea how the "Umbrella Revolution" will end, I have been amazed by the political maturity shown by the demonstrators so far; especially so by the students whom initiated this demonstration.
2. Anyone who has watched the 1980s British sitcom Yes Minister (and its sequel Yes, Prime Minister) will have a good idea of the bureaucratic mentality.
Similarly, anyone who has watched the 1997 Chinese historical TV drama Yongzheng Dynasty ("雍正王朝") will have a good idea of how the powers that be in Beijing think.
I like to dedicate the opening theme song of Yongzheng Dynasty to the peaceful demonstrators of Hong Kong.
The title of the theme song is Those Who Have the Hearts of the People Will Have the World ("得民心者得天下"):
2a. Added: Later on Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Alternate translation of "得民心者得天下": He Who Has the Hearts of the People Will Rule the World.
3. The Lyrics in Traditional Chinese:
得民心者得天下 -- 劉歡
4. The Lyrics in Simplified Chinese:
得民心者得天下 -- 刘欢
5. Names, Words and Phrases:
Liu Huan (Traditional Chinese: 劉歡; Simplified Chinese: 刘欢).
"Liu Huan", Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia,
"Yes Minister", Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia,
"Yongzheng Dynasty", Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia,