Poster for Tempting Heart (1999)
1. "Tempting Heart" ("心動") is the theme song of a 1999 Hong Kong movie of the same name.
The movie is directed by Sylvia Chang and stars Takeshi Kaneshiro, Gigi Leung and Karen Mok.
The music is composed and arranged by Kay Huang of Taiwan and the lyrics are by Albert Leung of Hong Kong.
The song is sung in Mandarin.
The movie and the song "Tempting Heart" (1999) were made by some of the best talents from Hong Kong and Taiwan of the time.
A more literal translation of "心動" would be "throbbing heart" or "fluttering heart".
2. I have known the song "Tempting Heart" for some time but I am not familiar with the original singer Shino Lin of Taiwan.
Reading her entry in Chinese Wikipedia makes me realized that Shino Lin did not had an easy life.
Shino Lin's parents divorced when she was young and she started working as a lounge singer in 1990 when she was only 16 years old.
The first four years of her lounge singing was in a restaurant in Japan where she took on the Japanese name "Shino".
After returning to Taiwan, Shino continued to sing in various pubs.
Shino Lin worked hard for many years and her first album come out in 1998 which was very well received.
Ironically, she won as "Best New Comer" in a 1999 Taiwanese music award.
Shino Lin music career has many ups and downs in the last twenty years due in part to her suffering from bipolar disorder.
A tragic event happened in 2007 when Shino Lin caused the death of a nurse while DUI.
Shino became a Christian not too long after this event.
3. There are a few notable observations about both the movie and the theme song:
(a) Sylvia Chang, the director and also being one of the script writers and actors, said there were some autobiographical elements of herself in the script.
(b) Beside the original singer Shino Lin, many people associated with the movie are also singers themselves: Sylvia Chang (Director), Kay Huang (Composer), Gigi Leung (female lead), and Karen Mok (another lead actor).
(c) This song has been covered by many singers from Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China.
Music is indeed something that transcends political differences.
(d) This Song is susceptible to many interpretations.
I like many of the cover versions in YouTube, even ones with very distinct interpretation.
But if I have to choose an outstanding interpretation from the many good ones, it is probably the cover by Kit Chan.
4. "Tempting Heart" by its original singer Shino Lin (Taiwan):
Music Video with scenes from the movie:
The woman appearing between the 00:30 and 1:00 minute marks is Sylvia Chang, the Director of the movie "Tempting Heart".
5. Covers by Kit Chan (Singapore):
First of two songs:
and many more in YouTube.
6. Cover by the director of "Tempting Heart" Sylvia Chang (Taiwan):
Sylvia Chang duets with Stella Chang in a 2015 concert:
7. Covers by the composer of "Tempting Heart" Kay Huang (Taiwan):
8. Covers by the lead actress of "Tempting Heart" Gigi Leung (Hong Kong):
Second of two songs starting at the the 2:38 minutes mark:
9. Cover by an actor in "Tempting Heart" William So (Hong Kong):
10. Covers by Hins Cheung (Hong Kong):
11. Covers by A-Lin (Taiwan):
Starting at the 1:25 minutes mark:
12. Cover by Christine Fan (Chinese American) and Wang Qiwei (mainland Chinese):
13. Cover by Jam Hsiao (Taiwan) (male) and Hong Jingjing (mainland Chinese) (female):
14. Covers by Shuhei Nagasawa (Japanese):
Nagasawa's mother is Chinese.
15. Cover by LaLa Hsu (Taiwan) and Nana Liu (Taiwan):
16. The Lyrics in Traditional Chinese:
心動 -- 林曉培
* 過去讓它過去 來不及
17. The Lyrics in Simplified Chinese:
心动 -- 林晓培
* 过去让它过去 来不及
18. Names, Words and Phrases:
A-Lin (Traditional Chinese: 黃麗玲; Simplified Chinese: 黄丽玲).
Albert Leung (Traditional: 林夕; Simplified: 林夕).
Christine Fan (Traditional: 范瑋琪; Simplified: 范玮琪).
Gigi Leung (Traditional: 梁詠琪; Simplified: 梁咏琪).
Hins Cheung (Traditional: 張敬軒; Simplified: 张敬轩).
Hong Jingjing (Traditional: 洪晶晶; Simplified: 洪晶晶).
Jam Hsiao (Traditional: 蕭敬騰; Simplified: 萧敬腾).
Karen Mok (Traditional: 莫文蔚; Simplified: 莫文蔚).
Kay Huang (Traditional: 黃韻玲; Simplified: 黄韵玲).
Kit Chan (Traditional: 陳潔儀; Simplified: 陈洁仪).
LaLa Hsu (Traditional: 徐佳瑩; Simplified: 徐佳莹).
Nana Liu (Traditional: 劉若英; Simplified: 刘若英).
Shino Lin (Traditional: 林曉培; Simplified: 林晓培).
Shuhei Nagasawa (Traditional: 長澤秀平; Simplified: 长泽秀平).
Stella Chang (Traditional: 張清芳; Simplified: 张清芳).
Sylvia Chang (Traditional: 張艾嘉; Simplified: 张艾嘉).
Takeshi Kaneshiro (Traditional: 金城武; Simplified: 金城武).
Wang Qiwei (Traditional: 王琪瑋; Simplified: 王琪玮).
William So (Traditional: 蘇永康; Simplified: 苏永康).
"Shino Lin", Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia,
"心動", Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia,
"林曉培", Wikipedia - The Free Encyclopedia,